After being vaccinated, Cody developed large swelling in the area 2 days later. His owner noticed that he had become extremely stiff and crepitus had developed under the skin. Cody was diagnosed with a rare infection of necrotic myositis. The needle from the vaccine brought with it a bacteria (found throughout the environment, Clostridium perfringens) deep into the muscle where infection developed. The infection destroyed his muscle and put his life at risk. Immediate action was required to open up the tissues, expose them to oxygen and remove all the necrotic tissue. After months of diligent care by Cody’s team of dedicated horse ladies, Cody is making a wonderful recovery from his infection. Cody is now enjoying trail rides in the park.